GDIT’s Science & Engineering group has an immediate position for a qualified candidate to provide scientific and technical support to environmental monitoring projects and special studies for the EPA’s Great Lakes National Program Office (GLNPO). This part-time position is located onsite at GDIT’s Alexandria office; however, teleworking may be considered with preference for someone in the Chicago metro area. This is a senior-level position.
Provide technical expertise, data management, and quality assurance support to environmental monitoring projects
Assist with planning, implementation, documentation and reporting on environmental monitoring with a focus on water quality and biological monitoring of freshwater ecosystems. Experience in the Great Lakes is preferred.
Conduct data analysis and interpretation with statistical rigor to determine and report on status and trends
Write and review technical reports, quality assurance project plans, sampling designs, and standard operating procedures
Interface with environmental scientists, IT staff and other technical personnel to develop tools and applications to support environmental monitoring data collection, assessment, analysis and reporting
Assist in monthly progress reporting
Manage and maintain working files and deliverables according to company requirements
Qualifications (Required Experience and Skills)
· Master’s degree with 8+ years of professional experience or a PhD related to Limnology or Freshwater Ecology (Environmental Science, Biology, or related fields) or equivalent
· Experience in environmental monitoring and assessment, field data collection, and laboratory analyses
· Experience with data management, data assessment, and data verification/validation
· Experience working with quality assurance and quality control practices in the field and/or lab; experience with data quality and program quality policy, experience in EPA quality requirements is beneficial
· Experience in developing and implementing standard operating procedures
· Experience publishing on water quality and environmental conditions in the Great Lakes a plus
· Effective communication skills to interact with clients, business unit personnel and team members
· Excellent analytical, problem solving, and critical thinking skills
· Excellent technical writing capabilities (applicants must submit a writing sample)
· Strong presentation skills to present to individuals and groups (applicants may be required to present a technical topic during interviews)
· Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and switch between tasks quickly
· Willingness to travel (less than 5% of the time)
We are GDIT. The people supporting some of the most complex government, defense, and intelligence projects across the country. We deliver. Bringing the expertise needed to understand and advance critical missions. We transform. Shifting the ways clients invest in, integrate, and innovate technology solutions. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow is smarter. We are there. On the ground, beside our clients, in the lab, and everywhere in between. Offering the technology transformations, strategy, and mission services needed to get the job done.
GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.