GDIT is seeking a Senior Biomedical Research Assistant in support of the 59th Medical Wing (59 MDW). The 59th Medical Wing Science and Technology (ST) office advises and conducts clinical and translational research on matters pertaining to the medical aspects of the Air Expeditionary Force and the health of Air Force (AF) personnel and beneficiaries. In order to support the required research, ST offices conduct translational research in the areas of emergency medical care, combat casualty care, force health protection, restorative medicine, clinical and rehabilitative medicine and specialty centers.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Responsible for supporting laboratory based research applying the latest scientific knowledge towards the solution of a broad range of theoretical and practical problems in the areas of hemorrhage and resuscitation, immunomodulation, directed energy medical effects, bioassay development, and infectious diseases.
• Implement and maintain research files.
• Recommend and implement changes to protocols and standard operating procedures.
• Modify and plan research experiments, procedures, and tests.
• Coordinate the implementation of sponsored and PI initiated laboratory research studies, including maintenance of study records and activities associated with internal and external audits in coordination with the PI.
• Assist in research design.
• Assist with preparation for presentations and written published articles.
• Set up, operate, modify and maintain laboratory equipment and apparatus.
• Assist ordering and maintaining inventory of supplies.
• Provide additional functions incidental to research activities.
• Making judgments concerning suitability of potential participants for research and/or clinical trials.
• Developing and implementing recruitment strategies, recommending changes to protocol, initiating and maintaining regulatory requirements and overseeing work of more entry level staff.
• Report on status of activities.
• Analyze data using scientific or statistical techniques.
• Conduct and support surgical procedure, operating room maintenance, animal disease prevention and health surveillance, appropriate animal housing, record keeping, insuring specific pathogen free techniques, as applicable.
• Daily handle and restraint of various small and large animal species.
• Maintain traffic patterns, sterile equipment, pest control, quality assurance procedures and record keeping.
• Conduct daily and weekly inspections or areas of responsibility to ensure compliance with standards.
• Coordinating animal procurement and shipping procedures.
• Coordinate animal research work activities between Research Scientist, animal care staff, and research laboratory technicians.
• Assist, conduct, and support surgical procedures, operating room maintenance, animal disease prevention and health surveillance, appropriate animal housing, record keeping, insuring specific pathogen free techniques, as applicable.
• May require occasional weekend and evening hours.
Minimum Qualification and Experience:
• Required: B.S in Biological Sciences or a closely related field.
• 3-5 years’ of relevant experience.
• Proven expertise in working with biological specimens and animal tissue.
• Must successfully complete AALAS accreditation training for working with laboratory animals and remain current.
We are GDIT. The people supporting some of the most complex government, defense, and intelligence projects across the country. We deliver. Bringing the expertise needed to understand and advance critical missions. We transform. Shifting the ways clients invest in, integrate, and innovate technology solutions. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow is smarter. We are there. On the ground, beside our clients, in the lab, and everywhere in between. Offering the technology transformations, strategy, and mission services needed to get the job done.
GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.