Join General Dynamics IT and be a part of the team of men and women that solve some of the world's most complex technical challenges. The Naval Research Lab team is seeking a Software Scientist/Developer to support their Satellite Operations application development at NRL Monterey, CA.
You will fill the full-time one-year position of Satellite Support Scientist/Software Developer to complete the work described below. As a qualified candidate you will be a skilled Python programmer with experience manipulating scientific datasets and using geospatial tools.
This work is expected to be complete in 12 months. On-site work is preferred with the ability to telecommute part-time.
The NRL-MRY Geo-located Information Processing System (GeoIPS) program is a python-based satellite data processing system developed to support the next generation of environmental satellite sensors. The advanced processing algorithms are designed to be modular and portable to a variety of environmental datasets such as geostationary and low earth orbit sensors, numerical weather prediction model output, and in-situ observations.
You will be involved from the start in GeoIPS re-design and development. This will include developing data manipulation tools for geospatial datasets and using git to troubleshot and manage version control. Responsibilities also include web development, database design and architecting large software systems in support of the GeoIPS project. Also, you will work on web page development for tropical cyclone image product demonstration.
· B.S. in Atmospheric Science, Computer Science or closely related discipline.
· 2+ years of experience working with and manipulating geospatial datasets using Python.
· Experience with managing HTTP requests and building REST API’s in Python.
· Good working knowledge of git, JIRA, Bitbucket.
· Experience working in a Linux environment.
· Active Secret clearance
· M.S. in Atmospheric Sciences, Computer Sciences or closely related discipline.
· 5+ years of experience working with and manipulating geospatial datasets.
· Skilled Linux user with the ability to use text editors, computing cluster management, and perform software installation.
· Web developer with experience working with RESTful API’s, web scraping, and interactive web maps.
· Experience with database design and architecting large software systems.
We are GDIT. The people supporting some of the most complex government, defense, and intelligence projects across the country. We deliver. Bringing the expertise needed to understand and advance critical missions. We transform. Shifting the ways clients invest in, integrate, and innovate technology solutions. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow is smarter. We are there. On the ground, beside our clients, in the lab, and everywhere in between. Offering the technology transformations, strategy, and mission services needed to get the job done.
GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.