GDIT is seeking a Senior Bioinformatics Scientist with end-to-end complete life cycle experience in analysis and workflow/pipeline development for major Next Generation (NGS) platforms, including Illumina, IonTorrent, and Pacific Biosciences. The ideal candidate will be a highly skilled professional with broad experience in bioinformatics, including comparative genomics, Next Generation Sequence (NGS) data analysis, and high-throughput genomics data analysis pipeline development. Additionally, this position requires demonstrated competency in translating NGS results into meaningful biological insights using contemporary methods including variant analysis, comparative genomics, phylogenetic methods, and integration with other information types.
In this role, you will be the senior technical scientist in a small team of skilled bioinformatics scientists and software engineers focused on leveraging NGS capabilities to develop the next generation of surveillance and laboratory diagnostic tools used in the global fight against disease. Position is for full time employment with GDIT and will be based onsite at CDC.
Key responsibilities will involve you being hands on to perform the following:
• Building and supporting cutting-edge pipelines for the analysis and interpretation of NGS data including sequence production, metagenomics, evolutionary genomics, variant calling and interpretation.
• Participating in the technical development process of an emerging NGS analytic and surveillance platform.
• Implementing state-of-the-art computational methods, and developing innovative approaches to software challenges that touch all aspects of NGS data analysis.
• Developing software pipelines in iterative cycles in a timely manner, based on schedules developed in collaboration with the project manager and other team members.
• Providing expertise in algorithm generation and statistical and computational methods for the analysis of complex, high-throughput biological data.
• Leading the analysis of large-scale genomic datasets acquired internally and through collaboration with other public health organizations worldwide using statistical/ mathematical packages such as SAS, R, and/or MATLAB.
• Maintaining up-to-date expertise in the science and application of genomic technologies.
• Reporting on project and task progress through daily verbal and weekly written communication.
• Writing and supervising the production of professional grade reports and documentation on ongoing sequencing, analysis, and surveillance activities.
• Ensuring software adheres to appropriate government and regulatory compliance requirements.
• Working with other team members to mature and integrate analytical tools/pipelines into user accessible tools/interfaces in UNIX/Linux and high performance computing environments.
• Serving as a senior subject matter expert to guide complex software development activities.
• MS in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computational Biology or other relevant discipline and 8+ years’ professional experience
• 3+ years’ experience in bioinformatics & Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data analysis
• Demonstrated fluency in UNIX/Linux computing environments
• Demonstrated programming and/or scripting experience in languages such as Perl, Python, and/or Java
• Experience in pipeline generation and/or computational methods implementation.
• Comfortable working in a dynamic, fast paced environment
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and proven ability to interact productively in a scientific team environment
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
• Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics or Computational Biology or other relevant discipline plus 2+ years' professional experience
•Experience with High Performance Computing environments
• Strong in statistical/mathematical tools such as SAS/R/MATLAB
We are GDIT. The people supporting some of the most complex government, defense, and intelligence projects across the country. We deliver. Bringing the expertise needed to understand and advance critical missions. We transform. Shifting the ways clients invest in, integrate, and innovate technology solutions. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow is smarter. We are there. On the ground, beside our clients, in the lab, and everywhere in between. Offering the technology transformations, strategy, and mission services needed to get the job done.
GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.