Uses expert knowledge to analyze information from system users and develop strategic solutions that meet the scope and objectives of the system along with address system needs. Exercises independent judgement and works with very limited supervision.
Advises less experienced employees on the development of flow charts, models and procedures along with conducting feasibility studies to design possible systems solutions.
Subject Matter Expert on conducting form design and layout activities. May provide advanced guidance and leadership to less-experienced personal.
Develops strategy for the preparation of systems specifications and involves leadership as needed.
Uses expert knowledge to develop technical documentation to guide system users and to assist with the ongoing operation, maintenance, and development of system. Recognize as an thought leader in the development process.
Recognized subject matter expert in job area typically through advanced education and work experience. Establishes operational plans. Manage strategic projects that are large in scale with major impact. With influence from leadership, develop new standards, policies and procedures. Problems faced are very difficult and highly complex. Recognized as a thought leader with highly specialized knowledge. Work performed is critical to the organization. May lead the work of less-experienced professionals.
Designs and develops strategy for analysis and systems design in partnership with management.
May coach and review the work of less-experienced professionals.
May serve as a task or project leader. (Not a people manager)
Assists management in estimating the costs of system solutions and preparing project plans to provide input into decisions about prioritizing projects and allocating IT resources.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: BA/BS (or equivalent experience), 15+ years of experience
PROGRAM SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS:
The data manager acquires, controls, and catalogs large scale, complex datasets for our customer’s mission. The position requires a highly detail oriented individual who understands the complexities of data movement and curation. The data manager will also be responsible for analyzing the customer’s current dataset catalog to identify areas of weakness which will then drive additional targeted dataset acquisition technologies as appropriate.
Our Team leverages the power of data, analytics, master metadata, and cognitive technologies to uncover hidden relationships from vast troves of data, generates insights, and informs decision-making. As a Data Manager, you will be part of a team responsible for transforming the customers’ data ecosystem with differentiated strategies that keep them mission focused and mission informed.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience.
2. Six (6) years’ of relevant data management consulting or industry experience (master data, metadata, data architecture, data governance, data quality, data modeling, data standards, data strategy).
3. Three (3) years’ experience performing full lifecycle data management in large-scale data ecosystem leveraging either a hybrid, on-prem or cloud –based platform. Focused experience in a specific area of data management to including cataloging, meta management, data policy, or data governance is acceptable.
4. Proven ability to be a self-starter, ability to multi-task, and work independently on tasks while collaborating with team, as necessary.
5. Demonstrates excellent analytical and critical thinking skills, and pays close attention to detail.
6. Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) with technical and non-technical personnel as well as all levels of management and staff.
7. Strong analytical skills to support data quality management operations.
8. Strong coordination, project planning, implementation, and prioritization skills.
9. Ability to manage expectations and balance demands while maintaining team priorities.
10. Experience implementing and establishing data ownership, stewardship, and monitoring, as well as determining business rules to be applied to the data.
11. Develop and implement data management metrics that can be used to generate reports and other outputs of data-related applications. Ability to render these metrics into dashboards or other tools that can be accessed by others.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE /SKILLS:
1. Skilled in documentation and database reporting for the purposes of analysis, data discovery, and decision-making with the use of relevant software such as, Collibra, Excel, and Tableau or similar standard visualization tool.
2. Experience drafting, editing, and implementing data management business rules for use by developers, data cataloging, those extracting data or preparing reports from enterprise databases.
3. Adept at managing project plans and resources to ensure successful project completion.
4. Ability to work with people with different functional expertise respectfully and cooperatively to work toward a common goal.
5. Experience utilizing business analytics to enable organizational learning and data-driven decisions.
1. Collaborate with fellow team members on data collection methods, data management processes/capabilities, and data policy/governance implementation.
2. Develop and maintain flexible data management processes documented as SOP but accommodate fluid change in the organization and/or data environment.
3. Perform data inventory and cataloging to ensure insight into our data holdings, identify gaps, prioritize collection/processing and administer data policy/governance.
4. Respond to data calls, reporting tasks, and internal/external requirements tasking.
5. Develops and disseminates data catalog reports upon request.
6. Organizes, implements, and enforces correct data collection policies and procedures.
7. Establishes data collection quality standards and ensures they are met.
8. Troubleshoots data –related problems as appropriate to the data management lifecycle.
9. Documents procedures for data management processes.
10. Develops methodologies for data collection and evaluation relevant to each project.
11. Performs analysis to determine adequacy of data collection and evaluation to each project.
12. Ensures data management system is compliant with all relevant laws and regulations.
13. Evaluates data management system to improve operational procedures.
14. Perform statutorily required data management tasks, ranging from documentation through cataloging/purge compliance and destruction.
15. Provide authoritative data management standards and compliance specifications which are derived from applicable laws, executive orders, policies, and regulations.
16. Provide policy guidance to support workforce understanding of data compliance requirements, including relevant issues such as USPII and sensitive data handling related to our data environment.
17. Establish Departmental data governance that minimizes impediments, maximize the value of data, and resolves data dispute at the speed of mission.
18. Ensure all policy decisions are tracked within the data management capabilities, and associated with datasets and specific versions of datasets in many to many relationship.
19. Implement and enforce data policies to include following provenance and lineage of the data so the versions of the data carry the proper policies.
20. Provide compliance metrics to oversight offices such as the Office of General Counsel (OGC) and the Office of Privacy and Civil Liberties (OPCL).
21. Provide support and new requirements that enable development of system-driven data compliance and compliance reporting capabilities for the Department.
About Our Work
We are GDIT. The people supporting some of the most complex government, defense, and intelligence projects across the country. We deliver. Bringing the expertise needed to understand and advance critical missions. We transform. Shifting the ways clients invest in, integrate, and innovate technology solutions. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow is smarter. We are there. On the ground, beside our clients, in the lab, and everywhere in between. Offering the technology transformations, strategy, and mission services needed to get the job done.
GDIT does not have a vaccination mandate applicable to all employees. To protect the health and safety of its employees and to comply with customer requirements, however, GDIT may require employees in certain positions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Vaccination requirements will depend on the status of the federal contractor mandate and customer site requirements.
GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.