Serves as a Data Scientist for cybersecurity in support of a major federal client. This organization provides services that analyze and produce enhanced cyber security and threat intelligence information to include threats and potential threats to the customer’s personnel, information, and information systems; provides timely and relevant intelligence to assist with mitigating cyber threats confronting the Department; supports evaluation, implementation, and operations of tools/technologies used in advanced data analysis.
The Data Scientist will support the customer’s overall cyber threat analysis efforts. The Data Scientist is responsible for applying advanced analytics and data science techniques, including predictive modeling, anomaly detection, user profiling and segmentation, text analytics, big data analytics, and visualization in solving cybersecurity problems or helping others to automate their research and analysis.
Key Personality traits that will do well in this environment
· You’re determined and inquisitive by nature. You can see the big picture and drill down to the details; you can ask creative questions of the data; and your curiosity drives you mad until you can put together a coherent story out of the puzzle pieces in front of you.
· You can work independently, generate creative solutions to new problems, and take responsibility for projects from start to finish.
· You enjoy collaboration and sharing information with other highly technical people.
· You’re a visual thinker, who quickly sees patterns and seeks the best ways to visualize them to tell a story with data.
Environment you will work in
· The intersection of cybersecurity and data. No better place to be.
· Highly technical and fast paced environment.
· No remote work / no travel.
· Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, cybersecurity, or other related technical discipline, plus 8 years of experience in technical data analysis with increasing responsibilities.
· Alternatively, a Master’s degree with 6 years of experience.
· Active Secret clearance or ability to obtain a Secret clearance.
Required knowledge / skills
· Strong working knowledge of advanced analytic techniques, including statistical analysis and supervised / unsupervised machine learning algorithms.
· Demonstrated expertise with data science software and tools, such as Python/Pandas/Scikit-learn, Rapidminer, or similar.
· Experience with data cleaning and preparation using real-world data sets.
· Experience with visualization and dashboard techniques and tools, such as Power BI, Tableau, or similar.
· Experience deploying and maintaining data science systems in production.
· Knowledge of computer networking concepts and protocols (e.g., Transmission Control Protocol [TCP] and Internet Protocol [IP], Open System Interconnection Model [OSI], Domain Name System [DNS]), and network security principles.
· Knowledge of cybersecurity and cyber defense principles (e.g. cyber threats and vulnerabilities, adversarial tactics, cyber attack stages).
· Highly self-motivated and capable of completing ad hoc and time-sensitive assignments.
· Strong analytical skills and the ability to effectively research, write, communicate and brief to varying levels of audiences to include at the executive level.
· Ability to manage analytic projects from start through completion, including problem definition, data extract-transform-load, data exploration, algorithm selection, training and testing, operational deployment, documentation, and maintenance.
Highly desired skills
· Master’s degree in computer science, information systems, cybersecurity, or other related technical discipline.
· Three years of experience in intelligence or technical analysis with a focus on cyber threat analysis and threat modeling, to include preparing and presenting results.
· Experience in natural language processing.
· Experience with structured and unstructured databases and tools, such as SQL, Oracle, MongoDB, or similar.
· Experience in Splunk or similar log storage/retrieval systems.
· Experience with command-line scripting languages such as PowerShell.
· Experience with O365 / Azure cloud environment.
· Previous experience working within cross functional and interdisciplinary project teams.
· Proven experience effectively prioritizing workload to meet deadlines and work objectives
We are GDIT. The people supporting some of the most complex government, defense, and intelligence projects across the country. We deliver. Bringing the expertise needed to understand and advance critical missions. We transform. Shifting the ways clients invest in, integrate, and innovate technology solutions. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow is smarter. We are there. On the ground, beside our clients, in the lab, and everywhere in between. Offering the technology transformations, strategy, and mission services needed to get the job done.
GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.